Bring learning to life and inspire your pupils in an educational yet fun school trip!
The Oceanarium welcomes school groups of all ages, abilities and sizes, all year round and is the perfect all weather venue for educational visits.
With 12 spectacular naturally themed environments set across two floors, your class will engage in a global journey through the waters of the world venturing through the Amazon, River Ganges, Great Barrier Reef and the Abyss.
With a huge variety of incredible wildlife representing the vast biodiversity on Earth there are 1000’s of amazing creatures waiting to be encountered! From otters to penguins, turtles to jellyfish and fascinating sharks and stingrays, the habitats, adaptations and importance of these awe inspiring creatures are here to be discovered.
We have three different educational packages and prices to choose from to suit the needs and requirements of your visit:
Self Guided Visit (Bronze package)
You may decide to take your class around the aquarium yourself. We have a free ‘Self Guided Visit Pack’ available (upon request) which includes key information, including an Oceanarium map, Fascinating Facts and Frequently Asked Questions, to help you guide your group and get the most from your visit.
Guided Tour (Silver package)
To compliment your visit, you can choose to have a guided tour led by one of our marine experts. The tour lasts one hour and can be adapted to age, ability and topic being studied. Maximum of 20 children per tour.
Guided Tour + Interactive session + lunch room hire (Gold package)
Both hosted by one of our marine experts, this package includes a one hour guided tour (see info above) and a 15 minute Interactive Session that involves the class getting hands-on with artefacts including turtle shells and shark jaws, as well getting up close to live creatures when available.
Within this package, we also offer an exclusive undercover lunch area for up to 30 children for 30 minutes.
|Package type||Price per child||What's included|
|Bronze (Basic)||£5.95||Visit to Oceanarium (self guided)|
|Silver (Standard)||£6.95||1 hour guided tour by one of our animal experts, tailored to your age / curriculum level|
1 hour guided tour plus a 15 minute interactive session hosted by one of our animal experts PLUS exclusive undercover lunch area for up to 30 children, for 30 minutes.
We offer the following free teacher ratios:
Child Pre School (3-5 yrs) - Free teacher ratio 1:3
Child Primary School (5-11 yrs) - Free teacher ratio: 1:5
Child Secondary School (12-15 yrs) - Free teacher ratio: 1:10
Student (16+ yrs) - Free teacher ratio: 1:15
For additional teacher’s and adults including teaching assistants, parent helpers etc, we charge a reduced entry price at £9.95 (standard adult entry price £12.50). We also offer a reduced adult carer rate at £7.95 should any of the children require extra support.
How to book
To receive the special educational rates, groups must pre-book a minimum of 1 week prior to the visit date but it is recommended to book as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Large groups will be divided into more manageable numbers with a maximum of 20 children per group, with staggered entry into the Oceanarium.
To book or for more information , please call 01202 311993 ext 25 to speak to our Bookings Co-ordinator or email email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
- To make your group’s visit as enjoyable as possible please ensure that you keep to your allocated arrival time(s) and session/ tour time(s) as stated above. This is to guarantee that arrival does not coincide with any other groups and to ensure that a guide will still be available. Please call 01202 311993 ext. 25 if expected arrival is likely to be more than 10 minutes late.
- Due to Health & Safety requirements, pupils are not permitted to wait for their admission within the building before entry. If your group has been broken down into smaller groups, please only bring one group into the admissions area at a time, at their allocated intervals. Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
- Groups are the sole responsibility of the accompanying teachers/leaders/adults throughout their visit and the group must be accompanied by them, at the relevant child/student to adult ratio, at all times. Admission will be refused if these requirements are not met. Any visitors of the group found misbehaving in a way that is disruptive and/or inconsiderate to other visitors will be asked to leave immediately without any refund
- The Gold package includes an exclusive undercover lunch area but cannot be booked between 11.45am and 12.30pm due to our Penguin Feed taking place within the area during this time.
- If you need to cancel your booking, please provide us with as much notice as possible (at least 48 hours).
“I wanted to send you a quick email to thank you for a brilliant trip yesterday. We were greeted by friendly staff on entrance who booked us in no trouble and provided us with maps to the Oceanarium. They were amazing and friendly, great customer services.
Emily gave us out interactive session and this was just brilliant! The shark bone and turtle shell was all the children talked about on their way round and all they have spoken about today. Emily was friendly and spoke to the children in a lovely tone and really engaged the children when talking to them.
The Offshore café was wonderful, the team were amazing and very helpful and the food was lovely. We had a lovely lunch and am glad we did the hot meals for the children.
Please tell all the staff that Littleworld Day Nursery thank them for all their hard work and everything was just brilliant. I’m really pleased I booked the Oceanarium for the trip and would recommend it to anyone and will definitely come back again in years to come.
Thank you so much for an amazing day.”
Littleworld Day Nursery, visited June 2016
“My class had a lovely visit to the Bournemouth Oceanarium yesterday. Your staff were very friendly and helpful and the talk for the children was fantastic - the staff member who took it really got the children involved and even learnt their names.
We all had a really successful field-trip and the children learnt so much.”
Braishfield Primary School, visited February 2017